Monday, February 27, 2017

The #1 Rule We Should Be Teaching Our Children

"People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel. Remember what you do echoes in eternity."

I read a heart-breaking story yesterday about a 15-year-old Connecticut boy who committed suicide after years of being bullied. The young man somehow got into the family's gun locker and took his young, precious life. Along with his life, the hopes and dreams his parents had for him were killed, the youth and innocence of his friends was taken, and a future that might have been amazing was snatched away in an instant.

This hurts my heart so very much.

The young man was from Poland and he was very tall for his age, 6 feet 3 inches. Apparently some classmates used these facts to tease and torture this poor kiddo over the years. After his first day of 10th grade, Bart Palosz couldn't take anymore.

We have helicopter parents who obsess over every homework assignment and call the teachers like it is their job. We have little league moms and dads who brawl with umpires and coaches. We even have some parents who buy beer for their high schoolers and drink with them on the weekend.

I think a lot of parents have mistaken "being involved" for good parenting. Parents get so busy pushing their children to be good students and good athletes, but how many are being taught to be good people? Kids are always watching us. ALWAYS. I have learned this lesson the hard way when my kids repeat something I said on the phone or to my husband when I thought we were having a private conversation.

This means how we talk to and about other people is how our children learn to talk to and about other people. How our children see us treat other people is how our kids learn to treat other people. Look back through your conversations and interactions over the last few days and think about the message you have been sending to your children.

One of the things I teach my kids is "it is nice to be smart and it is nice to be pretty, but the most important thing you can be is kind." It is so simple but really important. I would love to believe my kids are always nice. That they never get caught up in petty childhood arguments. I am not that naive. I do believe that more often than not, though, they are kind and compassionate.

There were two other stories I recently read on CNN. One was about a woman with a special needs son who was left a terrible, hurtful note by a neighbor saying the child should be "euthanized." The other article was about a woman out to eat with her special needs son who had a melt down. The note she got was the opposite. A stranger had paid their bill and sent a note saying "God gives special children to special people."

Of the two authors, whose children do you think are more likely to be kind, loving people.

I am going to leave you with the same challenge I leave my kids with every day before they get on the bus. Be kind to someone you don't know today. Smile at them. Pay them a compliment. I promise it will not only brighten their day, but yours as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment