Monday, February 27, 2017

The "F" Word

With four small kids around, I try to be very careful when I choose my words. Among the list of banned words in this house is the "f" word. Seems obvious, right? But you are probably thinking about the wrong "f" word. Guess again.

Fat.

Fat might seem like a strange word to add the obvious list of swear words and insults like stupid and hate. In my mind though, fat can do more damage than any of the other words, especially for two beautiful daughters.

It wasn't a totally banned word until about a year ago when my youngest son was at speech therapy. He has verbal apraxia and that day had been working on his ffffffff sound. One of the words they did in his session was fat. While transitioning to his next therapy, they passed a larger woman in the hall and Beckett innocently said, "She is fat." The therapist was mortified, I was mortified and Beckett was clueless. I felt so bad that this happened, but I used that opportunity to think about how that word is used and the many ways it can damage self-esteem.

We don't own a scale in our house and we never have. I have no plans of ever buying a scale for our house. I make a point to not say a dress or a pair of pants makes me look fat in front of my kids. (To my husband or texting my friends is a different story.) This isn't that I don't think it around them or I don't wonder about fluctuations in my weight, I just don't want my kids to know I think it.

We live in a society where overly skinny girls earn spots on magazine covers. Our society accepts the fact that these already tiny models are airbrushed to look even thinner than they already are. None of this is an opinion, it is all fact.

I have no expectations that I will be able to change these skewed standards we as a nation have come to recognize as normal. What I do have control over is what I teach my children about their own bodies. In our house, instead of talking about weight, we talk about health. Healthy eating, healthy choices, staying healthy through exercise...it is all about their health.

My college cross country coach used to check our body fat on a regular basis. More than once he told me I was too fat and needed to lose weight. He would criticize the team's meal choices. While he had a lot of redeeming qualities, his view on women and their weight was not one of them. I was fortunate enough that all of the insecurities I've always had, my body image has never been one of them.

As parents I think it is an easy formula to shelter our children from developing these issues. First, don't keep a scale in the house that they know about. If you really want one, keep it somewhere in your room. Two, make healthy meal choices so they learn what healthy eating looks like. That doesn't mean fast food never happens, it just needs to be done in moderation. Three, be active and keep them active. Let your kids try a variety of sports until they find the right one for them. Don't let it end there. Take time to be active together. Whether it is taking evening walks or a family bike ride. Four, watch your language. When they hear you complain about your body or criticize somebody else, you are sending them a negative message. Instead, if you are having a "fat day" talk about feeling the need to work out.

We get to be the number one influence in our children's lives if we choose to be. We can build their wall of confidence so strong that no classmate, commercial or magazine cover can destroy it. Let's teach them to put more weight in who they are than what they weigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment