Sunday, January 17, 2010

Learning to Love

I couldn't sleep last night at all. All I could think about was the two sisters from Pittsburgh, Jamie and Ali, who run the BRESMA orphanage in Haiti. These two amazing sisters who have had the opportunity to leave Haiti since the earthquake...they've had the opportunity to be home with water and food and medical care....they've had the opportunity to do the one thing nobody would fault them for doing, saving themselves. But have they, no. No, they face the scary reality of riots and no food and no water, because they refuse to leave the 150 children they are caring for in the yard of the orphanage.

There has been an amazing effort, started by Ginny of thatschurch.com, and fueled by the love and compassion that is Pittsburgh, to get both sisters and all of their children to the United States. It hasn't happened yet, and every day that it doesn't happen it becomes more terrifying. During the effort, somebody commented that it is short sighted for so many people to focus their energy on saving a few when there are so many in need. I've thought about that statement over, and over, and over.

There is a story of an old man walking along the shore throwing beached starfish back into the ocean. He is asked why bother, there are more than he can possibly save. He picks up one and replies that to that one starfish, it makes all the difference in the world. There are more people in Haiti that need help than we can possibly wrap our minds around. When I think about it, my heart hurts and my eyes swell with tears. We as a community cannot save or help all the people in Haiti. I think it is amazing, though, that there has been such an outpouring for this group of children that we MAY be able to save.

Also, I would love for those same negative minded people to call Jamie and Ali's family. Call them and ask them why we should bother putting so much effort and energy into a few people when there are so many more. I'm sure they could give you a plethora of reasons, a ton of stories and a million dreams of the girls' future that could change your mind.

Because we can't do everything, we should do nothing? I think not.

Next on my list...this idea that the United States should not be offering so much relief when we are plagued with problems back here at home. Really? Seriously people, pull your head out of your asses. Because I have financial problems and other stresses at my house, does that mean I shouldn't try to help my neighbor if his house catches fire? It would be a sad world to live in if our concerns did not extend past our own front door. I am proud to live in a country where we reach out to others. I don't always agree with some of the crap our government does. I'm just saying there is a reason we are the greatest country in the world!

Please, let's all keep praying for Jamie, Ali, the children and everyone in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment