Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Find the Blessing in a Dirty Diaper

I can't even tell you how many diapers I change a day between my two little princes! I can tell you it is a lot. A rough estimate would be 12-15 a day. Maybe. That isn't my point. Other than groaning because my little poop factory produced another whopper for me to clean up, changing diapers doesn't stress me out. Every wet or dirty diaper isn't a reminder of what I don't have or struggle to provide for my family.

There are SO many families struggling to get by, and these families have just as many diapers to change as a family with a solid balance in their checking account. Imagine leaving your kiddo in a wet diaper because you can't afford to change it every time they go. Imagine letting a wet diaper dry out and putting it back on your child.

This next part I'm stealing from pittsburghmom.com to pass on to you!

"I recently found out that diapers and wipes are not covered public assistance, food stamps, WIC, etc. And that cost of diapers runs nearly $100 per month per child.

Did you know that 39% of kids in Pennsylvania are living in "low income" families? That means there are a LOT of moms out there that are struggling to afford diapers.

I am organizing a "Diaper Drive" for the month of September. We will be collecting diapers in conjunction with the Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank. Just like a food drive, a diaper drive will allow people to donate one diaper from their diaper bag or a whole pack and drop them off at various locations throughout the city."

This was started by my friend, former professor and advisor, Heather Starr Fiedler at Point Park University. It is over in a week and it would be great to see as many people donate to this great cause. You can drop off diapers at the following locations:

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
Pittsburgh Toy Lending Library
E2Toys 2 Try
BounceU
National Aviary
Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

or make a donation at www.pittsburghdiaperdrive.org.

Thanks a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment