Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Strength To Carry On

Somebody in my life who I love very, very much is having a hard time right now. My heart breaks for him. I wish I could make him smile. I wish I could give him the biggest hug ever. I wish I could take his problem, lift the hurt from his heart, crumble it up and throw it away forever.

I am in a great place in my life right now, even with some uncertainties I'm facing. The truth is, I didn't take the easy road getting here. Before being married to my Prince Charming, I was married to a real jerk. It was brief, miserable, but I won't say it was a mistake. Nothing that led me to my current life could have been a mistake. I was lost for a while after it all happened, though. At the time, I was so deep in hurt and confusion that it was hard to see what direction my life was going.

The amazing thing was, even when I didn't know where I was going, God did. Through the support and encouragement of my family I went back to college, where I met the love of my life and my best friend. God blessed me with amazing people. People who couldn't fix my problems, but who helped hold me up until I was strong enough to stand on my own. People who steered me straight until the fog cleared enough for me to see the amazing road God had laid before me.

When our friends and family have hard times, we need to be there the best that we can. We need to offer them support and strength and love. We also need to recognize our limits. We can't fix the problems of other people. As much as we love them, as much as we want to carry their burdens, we can't. We have to trust that God is with them, carrying them through.

Here is a lasting thought or today!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert Schuller

No comments:

Post a Comment